Facebook Oculus Quest 2 Review: Solid V.R. Headset, but Few Gamesh


The new $300 computer generated reality headset functions admirably and feels great. Yet, good karma discovering games that will keep you engaged.

Credit...Jim Wilson/The New York Times

A gathering of five fighters and I as of late tossed punches to cheery music while a teacher egged us on. By the end of the 20-minute workout, I’d broken a sweat and my smartwatch showed my heart rate thumping at 140 beats a minute.

Normally, this would be the result of a workout at my local gym. But in a pandemic that has forced most fitness centers to shut down, I had to settle for a make-believe boxing class while wearing a computer headset and jabbing and punching with a pair of motion-sensing controllers.

That’s just part of what I’ve been doing in Facebook’s new virtual-reality system, the Oculus Quest 2, which the company unveiled on Wednesday, to escape from the seemingly never-ending pandemic-induced stay-at-home session. In another game, I played Texas hold ’em poker with a table of chatty players. In still another, I rowed a kayak to infiltrate an enemy base.

The Oculus Quest 2 is Facebook’s latest foray into virtual reality gaming. In this version, Oculus, the virtual-reality company that Facebook acquired for $2 billion in 2014, took what it learned from earlier experiments selling bulky headgear wired to powerful computers as well as wireless goggles that relied on smartphones to run games.

click here

No comments

Powered by Blogger.